Do you have a passion for T-shirts? Stahls’ is known in the industry as a resource for anyone who is starting a T-shirt business. We have produced countless videos on heat printing. We have YouTube channels that are dedicated to helping startups and we have a Facebook group, Heat Press for Profit.
In addition to all this, we also published eight issues of a publication called “How to Make It in the T-Shirt Business.” These issues are available online and contain powerful how-to and inspirational stories.
One of the stories, written by our social media guru, Danielle Petroskey, is reprinted here. It gives you 10 top tips you need when considering starting a T-shirt business.
It is reprinted here:
Top 10 Tips for T-Shirt Entrepreneurs
by Danielle Petroskey
When starting a T-shirt business, there are many organizational tasks you need to complete, such as applying for a tax id and business license, setting up a business banking account, and choosing a name.
What are the next steps? Below are ten tips which are very helpful, especially as a first-time entrepreneur.
- For efficiency and your sanity—FIND YOUR NICHE! This means determining who you want to sell your products to. There’s an old saying—when you say everyone, you sell to no one. Finding and creating something unique for everyone will take tons of time and eat your profits. It’s much simpler to market and sell to a specific group of people. Alternatively, pick a theme for your shirts, such as lifestyle, humor, empowerment, kids, or pets.
- Set your long-term Brand + Marketing Plan. Before you launch your business, take time to figure out how to get your products in front of your potential customers. Promote your new business to family and friends on social media. People won’t know you’re in business if you don’t tell them.
- When you use social media – don’t focus on how many followers you have. Focus on the QUALITY of the followers you have. Ten people in your niche/target market are much more important to your business than 1000 followers who have no interest in your products.
- Price your items to include profit. Always make sure to include your labor time, as well as your overhead, materials, and shipping costs. You deserve to make a profit. Do your research on similar items and don’t price too low or you will frustrate other makers in the industry. Click here for a handy pricing calculator on heat transfer vinyl.
- Build an email list. Figure out a way to capture email addresses of your new customers, with their permission, so you have a way to communicate with them after the sale and share what’s new with your business.
- Do not compare yourself to others. Find your own goals and things to strive for and shoot for those instead of what makes sense for others.
- Remember: Owning your own business is not always sunshine and roses – it is hard work. Just like your 9-5 job isn’t always sunshine and roses, but your own business is YOURS.
- Find one thing and do it really well. If you try to do a bunch of things all at once, you will get overwhelmed and want to quit. And not accomplish anything.
- Don’t listen to the haters and naysayers or the people who bring you down. If you do, you’ll never realize your dreams!
- It’s OK to make mistakes! It’s the only way you are going to learn and grow. Give yourself a break, everyone starts as a beginner.
One last important tip – be careful who you listen to in social media groups and forums. Unfortunately, there is a lot of misinformation out there. Make sure the people you’re listening to for help and guidance has the experience and expertise that is in fact helpful. Join the Heat Press for Profit Facebook Group.
For even more information, watch this video by Josh Ellsworth.